Great Himalaya Trail (GHT)
The longest, highest, hiking trail in the world. We are a proud member of the Great Himalaya Trail Alliance. Co-owner of HAL Seth Wolpin thru-hiked in 2014 with friends John Fiddler and Kathleen Egan. There are many sites about the GHT and they are quite confusing. Our aim is provide information on itineraries and GPS files for long distance hikers. Most of this content is currently on our other site www.greathimalayatraverse.org and is slowly migrated in this direction. Please send us any info you have on other sites and we will add that as well. Here are some higher level sites that try to detail at least the Nepal section:
- www.greathimalayatrail.com: A very nice site created by Robin Boustead who we are big fans of. Check it out – great links and resources. It also covers much more than just Nepal and Robin coordinates the Great Himalaya Alliance. It also has a facebook page. Content is tailored to the GHT with trip reports and more posted.
- www.greathimalayatrails.com: Note that the address for this site differs from Robin’s site by only one letter. This site used to be a beautiful, informative, and had a different url ending in .org It is now managed by Samarth an NGO that receives funding from DFID and possibly the Dutch government. In 2014, it still very nice marketing and branding of the GHT as the longest, highest, footpath in the world but now focuses instead on a ‘network of adventures’. It reads like many other trekking company websites in Nepal – all mostly devoid of real content and drawing attention to popular sites that are along (sometimes a bit far away) from the high route. There is no emphasis on thru hiking. The embedded maps are erroneous, tracks are not downloadable, and no primary source citations for the tracks are provided. Efforts to have them fix the tracks or notate the erroneous sections have been met with ‘We will do it next year’ for the past two years. It has a facebook page with many likes: https://www.facebook.com/Great.Himalaya.Trails/info/– posts are frequent but usual tourist fare for the most part.
- www.greathimalayanepal.com – a site for ‘The Great Himalaya Trail Nepal Alliance’ (GHTNA) with primary contacts Tej Raj Dahal and Mim Hamal. There is no substantive content on the site for a thru hiker. The focus (relative to the other alliance) is supposed to be only on the Nepal section. We dislike the fact there are now two ‘Alliances’ – that is an oxymoron.
GHT Trip Reports
- Big congrats to Lizzy Hawker for doing a modified high route KBC to Hilsa in 42 days in Fall of 2016. She crossed Kanja La which is part of our Langtang Fastpack. Please see her beautiful trip report.
- Seth thru-hiked the GHT in 2014 with John Fiddler and Kathleen Egan. Trail beta and GPX tracks (the most detailed available on the web) can be found on: www.greathimalayatraverse.org. There is also a facebook page (rarely updated these days).
- Doc McKerr – we are big fans. He solo’d with no outside resupply in 2013. His website is east2westnepal.org. The tracking device he used with micro blog posts is here.
- Shawn Forrey – hiked in 2011 with Justin Lichter. These guys are pros! Website
- Katja Staartjes and her husband hiked in 2010 and 2011,Their site is in Dutch and English: http://katjastaartjes.nl/expeditions/great-himalaya-trail/?lang=en
You must be logged in to create new topics.